Rates Notices and Billing Periods

Council levies rates and charges to contribute toward the provision of services including but not limited to roads, water, sewerage, garbage, sport and recreation facilities, parks and gardens, community events, environmental health operations and library services.

Rates notices are issued twice a year in February and August.

Ratepayers should contact Council if they do not receive a notice around these times.

Payment Options

Rates payments can be made by any of the following methods:

  • BPay – See your rates notice for reference numbers.
  • Post Office – Present your original notice at any post office within Australia.
  • Online – Go to Australia Post Billpay. You will need the Billpay code and reference number found on the bottom of your rates notice.
  • Credit Card – Call council on (07) 4656 8355 during business hours to pay your rates with Visa or MasterCard.
  • Mail – Detach the payment slip and return it to Council with your cheque or money order.
  • In Person – Present your rates notice at the Murweh Shire Office to make your payment by cash, cheque or EFTPOS.


A discount of 10% is offered on rates and charges as an incentive for prompt payment of rates. The discount does not apply to the State Government Emergency Management Levy, excess water charges or interest charges.

To ensure the discount is received, full payment of rates including any arrears must be received by council no later than the due date.

Pensioner Subsidies

Pensioners may be eligible to receive a State Government subsidy or a Council subsidy or both. An application form is available by following the link below or from the Council office.

Pensioner Rates Subsidy Application Form 

Payment Difficulties

If you are experiencing difficulty in paying your rates, you may be eligible to enter into an instalment arrangement with Council. Acceptance and terms of an arrangement is subject to Councils Rates Recovery Policy and all requests must be made in writing to the Chief Executive Officer or by email.

MSC Financial Hardship Policy

Change of Address

Rates notices will be forwarded to the last known postal address of the ratepayer. It is the responsibility of the ratepayer to advise Council of any change to the mailing address for rates notices. This can be done by completing the form below and forwarding it to the council office by email or in person.

Notice of Change of Service Address for Rate Notices

To request a Rates Search, please complete the form below and return to Council by email or in person with the required payment.

Search Request Form